Pet-Burials in Family Cemetery Plots
To change state cemetery laws in order to allow pets to be buried in family cemetery plots. In different cultures throughout history, humans have buried beloved animals in family burial plots.
While pets can be buried in family plots in many states, this practice is currently prohibited in California, Georgia, New York, Oregon and Washington (we are investigating other state laws for a complete listing).
Write to your legislators in CA, GA, NY, OR or WA requesting to repeal these laws, and let us know their response.
- Find your CA legislator by name or zip code
- Find your GA legislator by name or zip code
- Find your NY legislator by name or zip code
- Find your OR legislator by zip code
- Find your WA legislator by name or zip code
Note: policies of individual cemeteries vary greatly. Even in those states where pets may be buried in family plots, a particular cemetery may prohibit it. However, others would gladly accommodate such a request, as seen among many green cemeteries.
Washington State Legislature SB 5063, introduced in 2009. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2009&bill=5063
To ensure ongoing care of your companion animal in the event that you die before your pet, you can ensure that there is a program in your area through which to arrange for the continued care of your pet, and for the possibility of your pet’s interment in your family plot upon your pet’s death.
- American Veterinary Medical Association - report
- San Francisco SPCA – Sido Program
- North Shore Animal League – Safe Haven Surviving Pet Care
updated November 24, 2012