Throughout the world and throughout history, people have thought about appropriate ways to deal with their animal dead. Today, many inquire about green burial and whole-family cemetery options for their pets’ remains in their respective countries.
Below is our International Cemetery Directory (outside of the USA). The vision and philosophy of each cemetery is unique. For more information about a cemetery’s policies and practices, check its website or contact them directly. Being listed here is not an endorsement by the Green-Pet Burial Society.
Attention Providers: Contact us if your facility is not listed below.
Green Pet Cemeteries
- Mission Beach (by The Green Funeral), Queensland, Australia – full body pet-burial in a rainforest rehabilitation site, with a native tree planted on top of the grave.
- Woodland Pet Cemetery, Lowanna, New South Wales, Australia
- Unser Hafen in Braubach (Rheinland-Pfalz) – The remains of up to two humans and four pets will be able to rest in peace in a “friendship” plot, or the remains of up to 12 human or animal urns in a “family grave” will be allowed. (added 6/10/15)
- Essen (Western Germany) – more info coming soon (added 6/10/15)
Green Pet Cemeteries
- Karuna Kunj at Compassionate Crusaders Trust (CCT), Kolkata, India. (translation: Bower of Compassion). see article. (added 6/23/15)
- In the preliminary report (chapter 4:55) of New Zealand’s review of its Burial and Cremation Act of 1964, it is recommended that the burial of pet remains in human cemeteries be determined by each cemetery’s policy.
- Christchurch City and the former Banks Peninsula District: The Christchurch City Council’s Cemeteries Bylaw, June 2013 states:
1.4 Pet burials. No animal(s), including birds or fish, either as ashes or as a body, may be interred in a Council cemetery unless placed in a sealed casket with the deceased. [italics added]
- Memorial Woodlands, Bristol, England – pet cremains (only) may be buried in the family plot
- Penwith Woodland Burial Place, Chyanhal, UK – full body pet-burial in family plot
- Respect GB (Respect Great Britain – Respect Green Burials), Lincolnshire, UK
- Laughton, near the North Linc’s / Lincolnshire border serving both counties on the A159 DN21 3AF
- Scrooby / Bawtry, Great North Rd J A638/A614 North Nottinghamshire / South Yorkshire DN10 6AB
updated July 25, 2015