Green Pet Cemeteries
The green pet cemeteries listed below correspond to our four categories of green burial. If one cemetery does not reflect your sensibilities, consider another; it is best to shop around.
Note: The vision, philosophy and policies of each cemetery are unique. Being listed below is not an endorsement by the Green Pet-Burial Society.
Providers: Contact us if your facility is not listed below.
Conservation Pet Burial Grounds / Wildlife Preserve
Pet cemeteries that include the above and also have developed policies and procedures to maintain their land as a nature preserve / wildlife preserve.
- *Carolina Memorial Sanctuary, Mills River, NC. (In addition to a separate pet-burial section, they also allow pet remains to be buried alongside human remains.) added 5/9/18
- Forest Pet Cemetery, at Willow-Witt Ranch, Ashland, OR. – Full body pet burials can be buried in this conservation cemetery, adjacent to The Forest Conservation Burial Ground. (which allows the burial of a pet’s cremains). added 12/21/20
- *Greenhaven Preserve, Eastover, SC. (In addition to a separate pet-burial section, they also allow pet remains to be buried alongside human remains; see our Whole Family Cemeteries directory.)
Natural Pet-Burial Grounds
Pet cemeteries that inter pets in biodegradable caskets and/or shrouds, follow Integrated Pest Management (IPM) standards, but which have not set policies to maintain their grounds as a nature preserve.
- “Best Friends” at The Good Earth Burial Ground, Hazel Green, AL – scheduled to open December 2015 as a green cemetery with a separate pet section. For veterans: “No charge for burial of verified service dogs when buried by the owner.” (added 11/25/15)
- La Puerta Natural Burial Pet Cemetery adjacent to La Puerta Natural Burial Ground, Albuquerque, New Mexico. (added 3/27/17)
Low-Impact Pet Cemeteries
Burial only using eco-friendly containers or shrouds in a park-like setting. A program of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) has been adopted for the grounds. Above the surface, these cemeteries may appear to like traditional cemeteries or memorial parks.
- Angels Rest, Kanab UT – a project of Best Friends Animal Society; caskets are not used.
Hybrid Pet Cemeteries
Pet cemeteries with designated green burial sections, i.e., pets are interred in biodegradable caskets (e.g., all wood, paper, or wicker – no metal nails or toxic glues) and/or biodegradable shrouds.
- Deceased Pet Care – Atlanta, GA
- Ridgeview Memorial Gardens – Grandville, MI (ask about their green pet burial section w/markers, as well as Pepper’s Meadow w/o markers)
- Pet Memorial Acres – Town of Brookfield, NY (they have since closed)
* Cemeteries with an asterisk (*) have been certified by the Green Burial Council.
While the Green Pet-Burial Society supports the certification program of the Green Burial Council (GBC), they do not certify green pet cemeteries. However, they do certify human cemeteries with a separate pet section as well as green Whole-Family Cemeteries that provide full-body burials of pets’ remains in family plots:
The Green Burial Council is…working to encourage environmentally sustainable deathcare and the use of burial as a new means of protecting natural areas … [and] has become the standard-bearer in this nascent field and the conduit for conservation.
For a directory of International Providers, click here.
For a directory of Whole Family Cemeteries (that allow pets’ remains to be buried in family plots) click here.
updated December 21, 2020